6.06.2014

Good ideas

What would you say if I told you that I had "borrowed" portions of  Rocky Horror Picture Show for my 5th grade student production of  Grace and the Time Machine  this year?

Because I did. And it was very warmly received, thank you very much. I included music and coordinated dance moves. Rocky Horror is totally appropriate for ESL students in Turkey because they don't really know what is going on.

Sure the plot of this film is about a newly engaged couple exploring their sexuality,
 but the nuances went unnoticed.

Details, details.

So many details are completely ignored here in my beloved Turkey, day in and day out.

Sometimes people will say ridiculous things to me in such an aloof manner, that I don't even register the extent of the absurdity until reflection on the matter much, much later.

"Oh, nobody told you about how the main streets occasionally flood with sewage? It happens a couple times a year. I mostly can't leave my apartment when it gets all sewage-y like that."

When my friend told me this, I just nodded in agreement. It probably was a bad idea to walk around in a sewage flood. But later I thought to myself, "Regular sewage floods...seems like something I should know about. I'm sure glad someone gave me a heads-up for that potential happening."

Other times I find that Turkish people are detail oriented to the EXTREME. For instance, if you walked into the apartments of many of my expat friends, you would see photographs of uteri on their refrigerators. Why? Because Turkish gynecologists love to photograph the uterus -- whether it is laden with child or not. It's like a little bonus gift at the end of your gynecological exam.

Why should pregnant ladies be the only ones who get photographs of their uteri?
Equal opportunities for non-pregnant women!
Also, doctors text all medical test results directly to your cellphone here in Turkey. Is that weird? I feel like that's weird.

In unrelated news, I've been really psychic lately. 
But not psychic in the traditional sense.
What I mean is, I've been channeling Frida Kahlo.
She has been in my mind (and heart) for several hours each day for the last few weeks.
THEN, out of NOWHERE, my sister sent me a Frida print scarf.
Coincidence? I don't believe in those.
I think that Frida is trying to tell me to start a series of portraits that feature wild animals. And I don't plan to let her down. More to come on the self-portrait front soon.

This is what I have been thinking about. All the time.
My mind has been a kaleidoscope of Frida Kahlo portraits.

One last thing. I recently saw this guy.



I was the only person that seemed concerned that he was there. Then I got to thinking, "Hey, maybe I am ACTUALLY looking at the legit Grim Reaper right now and no one else can see him." 

Pregnant pause in my mind.

"Perhaps I will die soon," I quietly murmured aloud in a slightly tragic tone. 

But he never approached me with an offer for my soul, so I feel like I am in the clear for now.





No comments:

Post a Comment